Summits on the Air Activation Report
Activation Date: Saturday 20th April, 2019.
Activator(s): Richard M1HAX.
Summit: Great Orme, North Wales, Wales.
Summit ID: SOTA reference GW/NW-070 (1 point).
Summit Height: 207m elevation, 201m prominence.
Summit Location: Lat./Long. 53.33254, -3.85226. Maidenhead Grid
Distance: 0.1km travelled with 5m of ascent.
Difficulty: Drive on summit.
Elapsed Time: 15m (including operating).
Weather: Feels like 9.5°C, 15 kph SW wind, 77% humidity.
Radio Equipment: Yaesu FTM100D, MFJ-1714, Zippy 4200mAh 4S LiFePo4.
Contacts: 6 (2m FM).
- The Great Orme (207m) is a large headland located in Conwy County Borough, North Wales. It is a popular tourist destination known for its dramatic coastline, beautiful beaches, and rich history. The Great Orme is home to a variety of wildlife, including seals, seabirds, and a herd of feral Kashmiri goats that have roamed the headland for hundreds of years.
- This is a drive-on summit with a tarmac road leading up to a pay and display car park on the summit. The activation zone is grassy and spacious, but is a popular site with tourists.
- For this activation, I drove to the car park at the summit. As such, no ‘walking route’ or GPX information is provided in this SOTA trip report.
- This is a popular location for HF activations, with almost as many total SOTA QSOs logged on the 20-metre band as there are on the 2-metre band. This is known to be a good location to work in to the USA from on HF.
- My VHF activation was quick as I was just passing through with family in tow. On a sunny day this is great place to enjoy the views and work many stations.
Below are some photographs taken during my activation of Great Orme on Saturday 20th April, 2019.
I logged the following 6 amateur radio contacts operating as
MW1HAX/P from GW/NW-070 Great Orme on Saturday 20th April, 2019 (all times shown are UTC):
In the notes field I will usually log the other operator’s name and the signal report they provided. In accordance with the Summits on the Air rules, I do not make a log entry where a complete exchange of callsigns and signal reports was unsuccessful.
The following resources may be helpful to walkers, mountaineers and SOTA activators interested in Great Orme:
- Sotl.as Summit Page for GW/NW-070 Great Orme.
- Hill Bagging UK Summit Page for Great Orme.
- Google Earth view of Great Orme.
- Wikipedia entry for Great Orme.
If you found this content valuable, why not Buy Me a Coffee?